College information is available to all Valley Oaks parents and students. Please check below and you will find valuable college and career information.
Kern County College Night Information
Parents and students are encouraged to attend to gain valuable and current information about college admission. Freshman to seniors, it is never too early to plan your college and career journey.
Education Planner is your one-stop career and college planning website. Education Planner provides practical and easy-to-understand advice to help prepare students for the important decisions they will face in the future.
We are a free educational resource helping students determine their best career path options.
Career Education-Find out what you could be!
How to Choose a Major Blog
The top ten things a college looks for in a freshman candidate:
- High school grade point average in required courses
- Standardized test scores (ACT and SAT)
- Number of courses completed in academic areas beyond the University’s minimum eligibility requirement
- Number of courses completed and performance in honors, AP, and concurrent courses.
- Quality of the senior year program relative to educational opportunities available in the applicant’s school
- Outstanding performance in one or more academic subject areas and related projects
- Recent marked improvement in academic performance
- Special talents, achievements, and awards in a particular field, or experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership or ability to contribute to the intellectual vitality of the campus
- Academic accomplishments in light of an applicant’s experiences and circumstances, such as disabilities, low family income, first generation attending college, need to work, disadvantaged social or educational environment, difficult personal and family situations or circumstances, refugee status or veteran status
- Location of the applicant’s secondary school and residence, to provide for geographic diversity in the student population and to account for the wide variety of educational environments existing in California